Thank you for your interest in working at WORLDiscoveries®. We are currently recruiting for two positions:
With Paul's ongoing transition to Executive Director of Western Research Park, we are currently looking for our next Executive Director.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Research, the Executive Director provides overall leadership to the business unit, including establishing direction, objectives and strategy, implementing and reporting on business plans and progress and representing the organization in key commercial and institutional engagements.
The successful candidate will cultivate and deliver commercially-derived revenue to researchers and the founding partners in support of their research mission and commercialization objectives. Your outstanding business acumen and expertise are enhanced with exceptional skills to engage researchers and the founding partners in support of their business development objectives. You are a skilled marketer with the ability to trumpet the brands and commercialization successes of our research to the world.
Interested applicants are asked to visit www.workingatwestern.uwo.ca to apply online by midnight on June 9, 2013.
Business Development Manager
We are currently looking to strengthen our team with an additional Business Development Manager.
The ideal candidate will be a university graduate demonstrating broad technical capacity, business
predisposition and a desire to learn. The incumbent must have the
social and written skills to effectively communicate both with
technically focused academic scientists and commercially driven
industry partners. They will be self motivated, thorough and
have the demonstrated capacity to make challenging risk-based decisions
in an environment that is time-sensitive and subject to dynamic
technology and market landscapes.
Business Development Managers are responsible for:
* Interfacing with scientists around discoveries and potential inventions
* Distilling technical details down to protectable and commercializable opportunities
* Analysis of inventions and making a critical argument for investment decisions
* Protecting and managing intellectual property resulting from research and industrial interactions
* Establishing and communicating technology development plans
* Pursuing and commercializing intellectual property through licensing deals with industry partners and creating spin-offs
* Critically working in a team environment to structure and negotiate agreements
* Pursuing funding sources as needed to achieve your developmental goals
The position will be located in London, Ontario; however, the incumbent will be required to travel occasionally to visit clients and industry partners.
* Required: B.E. Sc or B. Sc & Business Education or equivalent Business experience, minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline, ideally Science/Engineering
* Preferred: ME.SC/M.Sc and Business Education (i.e. HBA, MBA) or equivalent business experience
* Minimum 2 years work experience within a relevant discipline within the private sector
* Technical familiarity in a specific area such science, engineering
* Understand academic and industry environments and maintain rapport with both
* Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with other departments, key business partners and external agencies
* Negotiating experience
* Working knowledge of intellectual property protection and management
* Experience in university-industry liaison, contractual research, marketing, scientific writing; work experience in a research-based organization; demonstrated work experience in complex systems with multiple constituencies; some industrial experience of an appropriate kind (i.e. research, marketing, business development, negotiation of legal agreements)
* Excellent written and oral communication skills
* A proven ability to structure financing opportunities and/or government program applications
* Communication and interpersonal skills evidenced by successful dealings within industry and with a variety of internal stakeholders
* Solid decision making skills to apply standards and guidelines to the work
* A well-defined sense of diplomacy including solid negotiation skills
* Judgment, analytical and problem solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and opportunities
* A self starter, quick learner and goal oriented
* Organized and versatile with capacity to retain accurate records and reports and synthesize a broad spectrum of information
* Results oriented with an ability to handle many tasks and maintain a high level of individual and team performance
* Maintain a high level of confidentiality
* Demonstrated ability to research/investigate issues and present solutions
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to growth and change
* High level of accuracy and attention to detail required
* Computer literacy at a proficient level utilizing MS Office and database experience
Interested applicants are asked to visit www.workingatwestern.uwo.ca to apply online by midnight on May 17, 2013.
Western is committed to Employment Equity, welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal persons and persons with disabilities. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.