Innovation fellowship programs have been developed to immerse highly talented scientists, engineers Innovation fellowship programs have been developed to immerse highly talented scientists, engineers and clinicians in training and research environments that build innovation leaders and create novel medical technologies. In collaboration with the Executive Director, WORLDiscoveries, the Program Director will lead the Western Medical Innovation Fellowship (MIF) program, and develop strategies, policies and processes to secure funding opportunities for the program. The Program Director will develop and maintain relationships with industry, donors, government and other stakeholders, develop strategic plans, and manage the allocation and reporting of financial, human and physical resources to support the MIF program. In doing so, the Program Director will reinforce and advance the reputations for Western, WORLDiscoveries, BrainsCAN and the MIF locally, nationally and internationally, and enhance the MIF program’s brand recognition.
– PhD in Science or related discipline
– 5 years’ experience in industry and/or a role with technology transfer/entrepreneurship accountabilities
– 5 years’ experience in program management or adult education
– 5 years’ experience managing staff and projects
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– In-depth knowledge of the Canadian peer-review granting systems and processes, as well as regulations and guidelines governing research in academic settings
– In-depth knowledge best practices in building a strong collaborative team and leading people
– In-depth knowledge of Design Thinking principals of product development
– In-depth knowledge of start-up and regulatory processes within Med-tech space
– Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer, commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
– Ability to maintain and develop an effective network of contacts that provide information regarding emergent opportunities and best practices
– Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
– Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals to achieve desired outcomes
– Results-oriented with the ability to motivate and coach employees to meet high performance standards
– Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
– Proven ability to build both formal and informal professional relationships within, across, and external to organizational boundaries
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca/ to apply online to job reference #25124, by midnight on March 25, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Reference: 25124 (revised)
Location: UWO Main Campus
Faculty/Unit: VP Research / Western Research
Employee Group: PMA
Appointment Type: Continuing
Appointment Status: Regular Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours:
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 17