The Business Development Manager will lead, develop and implement strategies to enhance commercialization of intellectual property created by Western and its partners including, faculty, postdoctoral fellows, students and staff, as well as provide support in matters related to industrial interactions and intellectual property management under the area of Life Sciences. The role will establish relationships in order to solicit new innovations for WORLDiscoveries, seek out commercialization opportunities and maintain relationships with industry, partners and other stakeholders in order to reinforce and advance the reputation of Western and WORLDiscoveries locally, nationally and internationally.
In addition, the Business Development Manager will research and evaluate innovation disclosures, develop and manage patent processes, determine commercial potential for innovations, make decisions on technology investments, and develop and execute related marketing plans. The role will negotiate terms and conditions of licenses, research and development agreements, and material transfer and confidentiality agreements. The Business Development Manager will also identify opportunities for prototype development funding, and assist with spin-off company creation, including business plan preparation, market research, developing research and development plans with inventors, and strategic planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Life Sciences related field (such as Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biophysics, Physiology, etc.)
- Master’s Degree in a Life Sciences related field is preferred
- Business education (e.g. HBA, MBA) or equivalent business experience would be an asset
- 5 years of business development experience, with research and technology transfer initiatives and in negotiating business arrangements in the private sector or industry
- Working experience in an academic environment with liaison between university and industry is preferred
- Experience in patenting, licensing and start-up companies (business planning, financing, managing) is preferred
- Working experience in commercialization of innovations in a social sciences field would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical knowledge in a Life Sciences related field
- In-depth knowledge of relevant business practices, intellectual property management and protection,
including copyrights and patents
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer,
commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
- In-depth knowledge of the regulations and guidelines governing research in an academic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Strong customer service skills to resolve inquiries and issues in a professional and timely manner
- Ability to maintain and develop an effective network of contacts that provide information regarding
emergent opportunities and best practices
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading abilities
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in
order to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to evaluate issues, recognize potential problems and take action to proactively resolve issues
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion
within tightly prescribed timelines
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #28328
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
- Reference: 28328
- Location: UWO Main Campus
- Faculty/Unit: VP Research / Western Research
- Department: WORLDiscoveries
- Employee Group: PMA – Professional and Managerial Association
- Appointment Type: Continuing
- Appointment Status: Regular Full-Time
- Classification & Regular Hours:
- Hours per week: 35
- Salary Grade: 16
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Western Research, under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research), is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
Within this mission… WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial