A free year-round mentorship program for women and underrepresented principal investigators, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students covering tech transfer and commercialization, intellectual property and entrepreneurship.
Program starts in September 2022
About the Program
WE-Empower will cover the fundamental principles of:
1. Technology Transfer and Research Commercialization: Participants will be provided programming on technology transfer, research commercialization and tools needed to develop a research project from bench side to bedside. In addition, researchers will be given 1:1 support from a dedicated Business Development Manager at WORLDiscoveries to explore their own research programs and discuss potential projects for commercialization.
2. Intellectual Property Education and Market Assessment: Participants will be provided training and education on how to protect and manage their intellectual property (patents, copyrights, trademarks, industrial design trade secrets, etc.). Researchers will be paired with patent agents and IP specialists to discuss patentability and develop an IP strategy for their projects.
3. Entrepreneurship: Participants will receive training and support in starting a company, building a team and bringing their product to market. Various aspects of entrepreneurship will be covered including: market research, value proposition, pitching, developing minimum viable products, business modeling, building a viable financial model for your startup, fundraising and marketing strategy.
4. Networking and Mentorship: Participants will be paired with industry leaders and seasoned entrepreneurs and mentors throughout the program.
WE-Empower brings together innovative and entrepreneurial individuals who self-identify as women.
The program strives to fill the gap that exists within our innovation ecosystem by providing support and training in entrepreneurship and research commercialization to promote the development of new technologies.
Empowering women to build the future for generations of leaders to come.
Program Content & Delivery
Phase I – Ideation
September 2022 - December 2022
|Week 1||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Meet & Greet - Intro to WORLDiscoveries and WE-Empower|
|Week 2||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Introduction to Technology Transfer and Research Commercialization|
|Week 3||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Research to Invention to Technology – From Benchside to Bedside|
|Week 4||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Introduction to Patents / IP Strategy|
|Week 5||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Intellectual Property Strategy Commercialization Strategies|
|Week 6||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Innovation Landscape Networking Event|
|Week 7||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Market Research on Inventions and Technologies|
|Week 8||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Scientist/Entrepreneur|
|Week 9||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Innovation Landscape, Funding, Resources, etc.|
|Week 10||2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Business Plan, How to Pitch, Science Communication|
For full program content and delivery view the syllabus here.
Competitive funding opportunities
for 2 selected projects ($50K/each)
A $2500 fund for startup support
Expertise in commercialization, entrepreneurship
and knowledge transfer
What we offer
• Education in Business Development, Entrepreneurship, Intellectual Property, Market Research and Assessment, Business Planning, Intellectual Property Strategy, and Pitch Delivery
• A supportive environment that provides networking and collaboration opportunities
What you bring
• Individual at the faculty, postdoc, or graduate level
• Evidence of teamwork, creative thinking and presentation skills
• Translational research, commercialization or entrepreneurship experience
How to apply
Fill out the expression of interest form.
To learn more about the WE-Empower program or for inquiries, please email email@example.com.