The Business Development Officer will support the development and implementation of strategies to enhance commercialization and entrepreneurship opportunities at Western, and will support faculty, postdoctoral fellows, students and staff during industrial interactions and regarding intellectual property management under the area of Engineering Sciences – Electrical / Computer Science. In collaboration with senior team members, the incumbent will seek out commercialization opportunities and maintain relationships with industry, partners and other stakeholders in order to reinforce and advance the reputation of Western and WORLDiscoveries locally, nationally and internationally.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science
- Masters in Engineering or Computer Science is preferred
- Business education (eg. HBA, MBA) or equivalent business experience is preferred
- 2 years’ experience working in the private sector or industry
- Working experience in an academic environment is preferred
- Experience with technology transfer initiatives and/or business development experience is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical knowledge in Engineering or Computer Science related field
- Knowledge of intellectual property management, including copyrights and patents
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer, commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet deadlines
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with associates and colleagues including senior management
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Organizational skills to manage multiple assignments that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement, while being open to trying new ideas and working methods
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for reviewing and writing grant proposals
- Knowledge of the Canadian peer-review granting systems, processes and procedures
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 14
Please note, this position is a 1 year temporary full-time contract opportunity.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Research Western under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research) is responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Please apply online no later than May 30, 2018
Select Posting Ref # 13356