The Patent and Market Analyst is responsible for analyzing the feasibility of protecting inventions that are disclosed to WORLDiscoveries®, as well as providing key intelligence on market environment and opportunities. In collaboration with Business Development Managers (BDMs), faculty members, students, staff and administration, the incumbent is responsible for matters related to intellectual property (IP), market research, and other related topics. The Analyst provides support for grant application writing for multiple funding agency programs (CIHR-POP, NSERC-i2i, and Western Innovation Fund), establishing relationships with BDMs, faculty, library services, and other stakeholders in order to obtain appropriate information and by utilizing their knowledge of databases and other information resources. The incumbent provides expert advice and guidance on intellectual property and patent laws, as well as of the process of commercialization of IP created in a university environment in the areas of science and technology. The Analyst recommends, after a strategic analysis of all the data collected on a given topic of research or invention, whether to invest in a technology and protection strategies for the IP at hand.
- Masters Degree in Science or Engineering
- Degree in Library/Information Science, Law or equivalent experience with extensive database training/usage
- PhD in Science or Engineering is preferred
- 3 years’ experience working with intellectual property and completing market research with demonstrated proficiency in database search techniques
- Experience analyzing the feasibility of protecting inventions that are disclosed and providing key intelligence on market environment and opportunities
- Business experience in a research institution environment preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of intellectual property management, including various patent documents, trademarks and copyright and, how to search for them as well as basic knowledge of patent law
- Knowledge of best practices for reviewing and writing grant proposals and of Canadian peer-review granting systems, processes and procedures
- Communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, provide a rationale for action and with an ability to complete detailed analytics and reports
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with associates and colleagues including senior management
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to provide guidance, support and feedback in a way that is positively received
- Computer skills with the ability to learn and use software programs
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Ability to evaluate issues, recognize potential problems and take action to proactively resolve issues
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
Faculty / Unit: VP Research – Research Western
Employee Group: PMA – Professional and Managerial Association
Appointment Type: Continuing
Appointment Status: Regular Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 16
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Research Western under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research) is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
Within this mission, WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, including Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Please apply online no later than November 12, 2018
Select Posting Ref # 14767