The Executive Director will lead the development and implementation of strategic plans, and manage the allocation and reporting of financial, human and physical resources to support WORLDiscoveries locations. The incumbent will identify opportunities for process improvements, and design and/or revise practices, implement and/or expand training or program offerings, with appropriate controls, to ensure that risks are mitigated. The Executive Director will develop an extensive knowledge of sector-specific market knowledge and business development expertise, local, national and international opportunities, and third party, such as industry, connections. The incumbent will help facilitate the achievement of strategic plans, develop new partnerships and assist creators, such as faculty, staff or students, other Canadian research organizations and SMEs, commercialize their discoveries through licensing, new company spin-offs, funding opportunities, investment, direct-to-market or distribution channels.
- Master’s Degree in the field of Science or Life Science and/or Masters of Business Administration
- PhD in the field of Science or Life Science and/or Masters of Business Administration is preferred
- 7 years senior level leadership experience, managing staff and projects
- Experience in business development, commercialization of early stage technology in an academic, government or research environment
- Experience in strategic and financial planning, implementation, and operationalization
- Experience with international research grants and funding opportunities is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of the technology market and licensing opportunities and of intellectual property law, contract law and other relevant legal requirements
- Knowledge of scientific research, intellectual property protection and commercialization process
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for assessing, developing and implementing new business development processes and procedures
- Familiarity with Canadian peer-review granting systems, processes and procedures and of the regulations and guidelines governing research in an academic environment
- Knowledge best practices in building a strong collaborative team and leading people and of best approaches for creating a shared vision
- Openness to recognize when change is necessary, and to develop, implement and lead effective change management strategies
- Ability to maintain and develop an effective network of contacts that provide information regarding emergent opportunities and best practices
- Communication skills with the ability to converse with, write reports for, and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization
- Ability to deal confidentially with information that has financial, political, regulatory and reputational implications
- Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization’s strategy and goals
- Ability to promote individual growth by encouraging others to learn new skills and develop themselves
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office with the ability to learn and use software programs (specialized databases)
- Influential interpersonal skills that build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
- Ability to handle complex, ambiguous situations with diplomacy, calmness and good judgment
- Results-oriented with the ability to motivate and coach employees to meet high performance standards, while working effectively as a member of the leadership team
- Ability to recommend controls to manage operational and legal risk
- Ability to evaluate issues, recognize potential problems and take action to proactively resolve issues
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Proven ability to build both formal and informal professional relationships within, across, and external to organizational boundaries
- Capacity to think and act at a strategic level and achieve operational requirements
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #21883, by midnight on May 12, 2021.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Posting Title: Executive Director, WORLDiscoveries
Location: UWO Main Campus
Faculty / Unit: VP Research – Research Western
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Employee Group: Senior Administration
Appointment Type: Continuing
Appointment Status: Regular Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 20
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
WORLDiscoveries® activities are tied very closely to the mandate of its partner institutions -Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The unit serves as the exclusive business advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio along with other Canadian organizations that utilize the services of WORLDiscoveries Asia.