Innovation fellowship programs have been developed to immerse highly talented scientists, engineers and clinicians in training and research environments that build innovation leaders and create novel medical technologies. In collaboration with the Executive Director, WORLDiscoveries, the Program Director will lead the Western Medical Innovation Fellowship (MIF) program, and develop strategies, policies and processes to secure funding opportunities for the program. The Program Director will develop and maintain relationships with industry, donors, government and other stakeholders, develop strategic plans, and manage the allocation and reporting of financial, human and physical resources to support the MIF program. In doing so, the Program Director will reinforce and advance the reputations for Western, WORLDiscoveries, BrainsCAN and the MIF locally, nationally and internationally, and enhance the MIF program’s brand recognition.
– PhD in Science or related discipline
– 5 years’ experience in industry and/or a role with technology transfer/entrepreneurship accountabilities
– 5 years’ experience in program management or adult education
– 5 years’ experience managing staff and projects
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– In-depth knowledge of the Canadian peer-review granting systems and processes, as well as regulations and guidelines governing research in academic settings
– In-depth knowledge best practices in building a strong collaborative team and leading people
– In-depth knowledge of Design Thinking principals of product development
– In-depth knowledge of start-up and regulatory processes within Med-tech space
– Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer, commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
– Ability to maintain and develop an effective network of contacts that provide information regarding emergent opportunities and best practices
– Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
– Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals to achieve desired outcomes
– Results-oriented with the ability to motivate and coach employees to meet high performance standards
– Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
– Proven ability to build both formal and informal professional relationships within, across, and external to organizational boundaries
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca/ to apply online to job reference #24573, by midnight on January 31, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Location: UWO Main Campus
Faculty/Unit: VP Research / Western Research
Employee Group: Non Union
Appointment Type: Contract
Appointment Status: Temporary Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours:
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 17
Please note, this position is a grant funded, 2- year temporary full-time contract opportunity with a comprehensive benefits package. Extension on contract is possible after 2 years depending on funding. Secondments are welcome.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Western Research, under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research), is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
Within this mission…
WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.