Posting Title: Administrative Coordinator, WORLDiscoveries Asia
Faculty / Unit: VP Research – Research Western
Employee Group: Non Union
Appointment Type: Contract
Appointment Status: Temporary Part-Time
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per week: up to 24.00
Hourly rate: $24.00 to $28.00
With annual research funding exceeding $220 million, and an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Research Western under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research) is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.
*This role is based in Toronto.
The Administrative Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the logistical and day-to-day activities of 2 WORLDiscoveries Asia satellite offices in Toronto and Montreal, coordinating ongoing strategic projects, and assisting in market research and related activities
The incumbent will carry out various administrative functions including:
- Monitoring and reporting on financial processes for both offices (eg. business and travel expenditures and revenue generation).
- Developing and maintaining various databases and internal tracking documents
- Assisting in the development of communication materials
- Maintenance of online communication portals – ie website, social media
- Coordinating logistics for business meetings, stakeholder/client visits and events.
Under the direction of the WD Asia Director, Business Development Officer (Toronto) and Business Development Manager (Montreal), the Coordinator will:
- Help identify new outreach opportunities through market research
- Conduct research to identify grant/funding programs and opportunities
- Assist with the drafting, preparation and submission of grant funding proposals/reports
In addition, the incumbent provides overall administrative support to the WD Asia satellite personnel in Toronto and Montreal and carries out other administrative or coordinating duties as required.
- Undergraduate Degree
- 1 year experience in an office administration role
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of general office procedures including records management & database systems
- Proficiency in an Asian language(s) is an asset
- Familiarity with financial records management
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including Microsoft
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Ability to conduct effective market research and present outcomes
- Ability to create a positive impression while interacting with others and responding to inquiries, by telephone, in person or electronically
- Proven ability and natural inclination to interact with people in professional, respectful and
- Self-motivated multi-tasker with strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, take initiative and follow through on work
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail and understanding of confidentiality issue
- Experience in event/meeting coordination is preferred
- Results-oriented with an ability to handle many tasks and maintain a high level of individual and team performance.
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Please apply online no later than August 17, 2020
Posting Ref # 20404