The Program Specialist will manage the launch and delivery of the WE Empower program, an initiative providing year-round training, support and mentorship to support researchers, postdoctoral trainees or graduate students who identify as women, Indigenous, Black, racialized persons, persons with disabilities or members of the LGBTQ2S+ community. The role will manage and coordinate various educational programs related to the development of research technologies, entrepreneurship, and intellectual property development. The Program Specialist will provide administrative leadership and ensure the efficient and effective delivery of WE Empower program offerings, in alignment with the University’s and Western Research’s strategic plans. The role will contribute to the design of the program, participate in developing strategies related to program initiatives, and ensure the successful implementation of all aspects of the program.
- Undergraduate Degree in a relevant discipline
- Project Management Professional certification preferred
- 5 years experience in project or program management
- Experience managing educational programs and services, preferably in a higher education institution
- Experience with budget preparation and management preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with best practices for assessing, developing and implementing new processes and procedures
- In-depth knowledge of project management methodologies, as well as familiarity with change management principles
- Knowledge of best practices in program and course development
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Ability to effectively present information, and conduct training sessions and workshops
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to write clear, concise and accurate procedural documentation
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability to apply creativity, innovation and resourcefulness to daily work
- Ability to understand customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service to directly and indirectly satisfy expectations
- Attention to detail with an ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of data, while ensuring that information is accurate and comprehensive
- Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the University’s events and activities
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Interpersonal skills to liaise with prospective and current program participants, staff, faculty and other members of the Western community
- Ability to handle complex, ambiguous situations with diplomacy, calmness and good judgment
- Ability to plan and manage events of various sizes
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research‐intensive
universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real‐world
application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Western Research under the leadership of the Vice-President, Research is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
Within this mission…
WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University including Robarts Research Institute and Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Apply at recruit.uwo.ca searching for posting ID 25516