- Posting Title: Business Development Officer, WORLDiscoveries Asia
- Reference: 18843
- Location: Toronto Satellite Office
- Faculty / Unit: VP Research – Research Western
- Department: WORLDiscoveries®
- Employee Group: PMA – Professional and Managerial Association
- Appointment Type: Continuing
- Appointment Status: Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 14
Please note, this position is located in Toronto, Ontario.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Research Western under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research) is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
Within this mission… WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.
The Business Development Officer, WORLDiscoveries Asia (WD Asia) will support the development and implementation of strategies to build and expand a network of business clients among University Technology Transfer Offices (TTO), research institutions, and hi-tech small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) across Ontario and Canada, with an aim for WD Asia to represent and promote a robust portfolio of Canadian innovation projects and technologies in Asia for potential partnerships with Asian industry and investment community. In collaboration with the Director, WD Asia, the incumbent will seek out business opportunities and maintain relationships with Canadian organizations who have an interest in pursuing research and development based partnerships and gaining access to the local markets in Asia. Building upon years of successes and track record of WD Asia, the incumbent will help deliver successful Canada-Asia research and development partnerships which will not only bring an increased revenue flow to WORLDiscoveries and Western, but also further enhance the brand and reputation of WORLDiscoveries as Canada’s leader in global technology transfer and commercialization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science related discipline
- Master’s degree in a Science related discipline is preferred
- Business education (eg. HBA, MBA) or equivalent business experience is preferred
- 2 years related experience in a business office environment
- Working experience with technology transfer initiatives and/or business development experience is preferred
- Experience managing client relationships is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical knowledge in a Science related field
- Knowledge of intellectual property management, including copyrights and patents
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer, commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet deadlines
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with associates and colleagues including senior management
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Organizational skills to manage multiple assignments that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement, while being open to trying new ideas and working methods
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful and diplomatic manner
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- In-depth knowledge of best practices for reviewing and writing grant proposal
- Knowledge of the Canadian peer-review granting systems, processes and procedures
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human
Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Please Note: We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Please apply online no later than April 23, 2020
Select Posting Ref # 18843