Posting Title: Business Development Manager (WD Asia)
Location: UWO Satellite Office – Ottawa or Montreal
Faculty / Unit: VP Research – Research Western
Employee Group: Non Union
Appointment Type: Contract
Appointment Status: Temporary Full-Time
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per week: 35
Salary Grade: 16
Please note, this is a one-year wholly grant funded temporary full-time contract opportunity, with an expected end date of August 28, 2020
This position is to be based in either Ottawa or Montreal.
With an international reputation for success, Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western also provides an exceptional employment experience, offering competitive salaries, a wide range of employment opportunities and one of Canada’s most beautiful campuses.
Research Western under the leadership of the Vice-President (Research) is responsible for ensuring that Western has vibrant and growing interaction with various sources of research funding and that the faculties have increasing funding for their research programs. It is also responsible to ensure a healthy flow of technology resulting from Western research to the commercial world thereby creating jobs, increasing economic development and the general betterment of society.
WORLDiscoveries® is the Business Development arm of Western University, Robarts Research Institute and the Lawson Health Research Institute. The business unit serves as the exclusive advocate and agent for promising commercial and technology transfer opportunities derived from London’s extensive research portfolio.
The Business Development Manager, WORLDiscoveries Asia (WD Asia) leads, develops and implements strategies to build and expand a network of business clients among University Technology Transfer Offices (TTO), research institutions, and hi-tech small and medium-sized enterprises (SME) across Quebec and surrounding region, with an aim for WD Asia to represent and promote a robust portfolio of Canadian innovation projects and technologies in Asia for potential partnerships with Asian industry and investment community. In collaboration with the Director of WD Asia, the incumbent will seek out business opportunities and secure a contractual business relationship with Canadian organizations who have an interest in pursuing research and development based partnerships and gaining access to the local markets in Asia. Building upon the successes and track-record of WD Asia, the Business Development Manager will deliver and grow a stream of successful Canada-Asia research and development partnerships which will not only bring an increased revenue flow to WORLDiscoveries and Western, but also further enhance the brand and reputation of WORLDiscoveries as Canada’s leader in global technology transfer and commercialization. The incumbent will be located in a satellite office in either Ottawa or Montreal.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Life Sciences, Engineering, or a Science related field
- Masters in Degree in Life Sciences, Engineering or a Science related field is preferred
- Business education (e.g. HBA, MBA) or equivalent business experience is preferred
- 5 years of business development experience, with research and technology transfer initiatives and in negotiating business arrangements in the private sector or industry
- Working experience in an academic environment with liaison between university and industry is preferred
- Experience in patenting, licensing and start-up companies (business planning, financing, managing) is preferred
- Working experience in commercialization of innovations in a social sciences field would be an asset is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical knowledge in Life Sciences, Engineering or a Science related field
- Ability to conduct business and operate with equal proficiency in both English and French languages (written and verbal) is required; Proficiency in an Asian language or languages is preferred
- In-depth knowledge of relevant business practices, intellectual property management and protection, including copyrights and patents
- Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer, commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
- In-depth knowledge of the regulations and guidelines governing research in an academic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Strong customer service skills to resolve inquiries and issues in a professional and timely manner
- Ability to maintain and develop an effective network of contacts that provide information regarding emergent opportunities and best practices
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading abilities with an excellent command of the English language
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization’s strategy and goals
- Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
- Ability to evaluate issues, recognize potential problems and take action to proactively resolve issues
- Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
- Proven ability to build both formal and informal professional relationships within, across, and external to organizational boundaries
- Possess a reputation for resourcefulness with a strong sense of accountability and initiative
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate University guidelines, policies and practices to key stakeholders
- Ability to work independently and effectively as a member of the team to achieve department goals
- Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
Western Values Diversity
University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed
to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications
from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal
persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and
persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Select Posting Ref # 18051