The Director, Business Development will provide leadership to a team of professionals in order to develop and implement strategies to enhance commercialization and entrepreneurship opportunities at Western. The Director will exercise leadership and mentorship to the Medical Innovation Fellowship (MIF) program in collaboration with the Executive Director, WORLDiscoveries. The incumbent will seek out funding opportunities and maintain relationships for the MIF program from industry, donors, government and other stakeholders. The Director will reinforce and advance the reputations for Western, WORLDiscoveries, BrainsCAN and MIF locally, nationally and internationally, and ensure that strategies are developed for the successful implementation and execution of the program.
– Master’s Degree in a Science-related discipline
– M.Sc with an MBA, or a PhD in a Science related is preferred
– 5 years’ experience in industry and/or technology transfer/business development
– Experience managing staff and projects is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– In-depth knowledge of the Canadian peer-review granting systems, processes and procedures
– In-depth knowledge of the regulations and guidelines governing research in an academic environment
– In-depth knowledge of best practices in building a strong collaborative team and leading people
– Familiarity with University policies and procedures preferred
– Ability and willingness to stay abreast of developments in the field of technology transfer, commercialization, entrepreneurship and knowledge mobilization
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
– Strong customer service skills to resolve inquiries and issues in a professional and timely manner
– Ability to maintain and develop an effective network of contacts that provide information regarding emergent opportunities and best practices
– Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
– Strong attention to detail and proofreading abilities with an excellent command of the English language
– Ability to provide solutions and ideas for improvement by using imaginative approaches where constructive thinking and innovation are required
– Ability to make decisions and recommendations that are clearly linked to the organization’s strategy and goals
– Ability to promote individual growth by encouraging others to learn new skills and develop themselves
– Ambitious with the ability to identify opportunities, develop action plans and set challenging goals in order to achieve desired outcomes
– Intermediate computer skills with the ability to learn and use software programs
– Results-oriented with the ability to motivate and coach employees to meet high performance standards, while working effectively as a member of the leadership team
– Ability to evaluate issues, recognize potential problems and take action to proactively resolve issues
– Project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously from conception to completion within tightly prescribed timelines
– Proven ability to build both formal and informal professional relationships within, across, and external to organizational boundaries
– Possess a reputation for resourcefulness with a strong sense of accountability and initiative
– Capacity to think and act at a strategic level and achieve operational requirements
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.
Please apply on or before Monday, January 02, 2017. To apply online, click here (please add the Reference #8476).